TOOSnews
Advertisement
IRGC deputy commander: Strait of Hormuz will reopen once the U.S. implements the Islamabad agreement.
WorldTOOS News

IRGC deputy commander: Strait of Hormuz will reopen once the U.S. implements the Islamabad agreement.

August 18, 2026
Share
Summary

Yadollah Javani, the political deputy commander of Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), has said that the war should end based on the Islamabad Memorandum of Understanding, and that the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz will depend on the United States fulfilling its commitments under the agreement.

In an interview with the Young Journalists Club, affiliated with Iran’s state broadcaster, Javani said: “The war must end based on the Islamabad Memorandum of Understanding, and the Strait of Hormuz will be reopened when the Americans fulfill their commitments under this agreement.”

The remarks come as the 60-day deadline during which Iran and the United States were expected to reach a broader agreement on ending the war, Iran’s nuclear program, and reopening the Strait of Hormuz expires on Monday, August 17, 2026.

However, no agreement has been reached between the two sides so far, and both countries appear increasingly prepared for a prolonged confrontation.

Javani also said that “the Strait of Hormuz and the arrangements governing it will never return to the pre-war status quo.” He claimed that the United States, Israel, and their allies had spent months attempting to wrest control of the strait from Iran but had failed to do so.

The IRGC political deputy further said that discussions regarding the Strait of Hormuz as a waterway between Iran and Oman now concern the period after the war has ended and its conclusion has been firmly established.

On Sunday, Javani had also said that the “enemy” was responsible for initiating the war and that Iran’s actions were defensive in nature. However, he said those actions could become offensive in the future.

He further stressed that, based on issued orders, Iran’s armed forces would adopt new approaches and would take action when necessary to defend the country, ensure security, and neutralize threats.

Earlier, Mohammad Reza Naqdi, an adviser to the IRGC commander-in-chief, had also announced plans to shift Iran’s military posture from a defensive doctrine toward a more offensive approach.

Writer:Salima Aryaei

Follow us

Official channels for breaking news, clips, and updates.

@TOOSnews.com

Tap an icon to open our official channel.